Thursday, 13 September 2012
Controversy over Cynthia’s corpse
It will be recalled that hundreds of sympathisers who had stormed the Boji-Boji Owa house of the Osokogus in Delta State to pay their last respect last week left disappointed as Cynthia’s corpse was not available for burial.
Major-General Frank Osokogu, father of the slain girl, had explained that the interment had been called off following advice from a team of police and medicals that came from Lagos and reminded the family that the case was still in court.
He had said the burial would go on as soon as legal and medical processes were concluded and the body released to the family.
But in spite of the conclusion of the autopsy, Cynthia’s father said the police were yet to invite the family to come for the corpse.
Reacting, the Lagos State Police Command denied responsibility for the delay in releasing the corpse to the family.
Mrs Ngozi Braide, spokesperson for the command, who stated this on Thursday, however, said she was not aware if the autopsy and other examinations had been concluded on the lady.
On the insistence by the family that police were causing the delay, she said “that is not possible,” promising to find out if the autopsy had actually been concluded.