Wednesday 24 October 2012

Man sentenced to 14 days imprisonment for beating wife


An Agege Customary Court on Tuesday sentenced a 39-year-old man to 14 days imprisonment for contempt, following his disobedience to the court order to maintain the peace with his estrange wife.
“The court hereby sentences you, Ibukun Oluwadamilare, to 14 days imprisonment for contempt of court for beating up your wife.
“I believe that if you get there, you will learn one or two lessons and you will control your temper thereafter,’’ the Court President, Mr. Emmanuel Sokunle, said.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the court, had at the last hearing, ordered the couple in the divorce suit to maintain the peace.
However, the wife, the petitioner in the suit, informed the court a day later that the respondent beat her, in spite of the order.
The petitioner, Adesewa, 33, had filed the suit in September, asking the court to dissolve her 12-year-old marriage to Oluwadamilare over battering and threat to life.
Adesewa, who lives at No. 18b, Kayode Joseph St., Powerline, Oke- Ira, Ogba, told the court: “My husband had wanted to make love to me in the presence of our children but I refused.
“He then beat me mercilessly to the extent of removing one of my teeth. If my husband has money, he won’t give me and the children.
“He prefers to go to the club and declare surplus and when the money is finished, he comes home to steal my money,” she alleged.
The mother of three children, aged between five and 10 years, also added that her husband often malign her before their children by making unsubstantiated allegation that she was promiscuous.
“We live in one room but my husband won’t wait till midnight when our children will be asleep before drawing my pants.
“My husband started going to a white garment church in April, and so, brings home different colours of candle.
“He left the church we were both going because he accused me of going out with our pastor and I am fed up with all of his behaviour,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment