Wednesday 31 October 2012

Nigeria’s envoy to DR Congo turns Ekiti regent


Nigeria’s current Ambassador to the Democratic Republic of Congo, Princess Jolaade Onipede, has emerged the regent of Ilasa-Ekiti.

Onipede was on Tuesday installed at a well attended ceremony in the town located in Ekiti- East local government area of the state.

Eldest daughter of the immediate past Alasa of Ilasa, Oba Abel Ajibola, Onipede appealed to kingmakers in the town to hasten up processes of selecting the next monarch.

“ I was an adviser on chieftaincy affairs in this state and I know all that is involved in the process of selecting monarchs for our towns and the roles of regents . I promise not to disappoint the people of the town.

“During the regime of Engineer Olusegun Oni, there was this law that was passed pegging the number of years a regent could stay at two and if the next ruling house is ready today with their nominee for the throne, I will vacate the stool without delay.

“We don’t expect the process to be delayed, as my late father warned us that we should not meddle in the process of selecting the new Oba. My stay in the palace is to also tidy up the property of my father, who reigned for over 63 years,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment